LAKEVILLE, Minn (2/2/20) --- Concordia was unable to carry the momentum from their season-opening win on Saturday over Crown into Sunday's conference opener and lost 9-0 to nationally-ranked Carleton.
"Carleton is a really deep team, we competed well," head coach Zach Zitur said.
The loss evens Concordia's overall record to 1-1 on the year. The Knights remain unbeaten and move to 4-0 in all matches and 2-0 in the MIAC.
Despite the lopsided score, the Cobbers pushed the Knights to the limit in multiple matches.
The No.2 doubles team of Carter Steffes and David Youngs dropped an 8-6 contest to Carleton's Lewis White and Jonas Lindholm-Uzzi. The two teams held serve down to the wire until the Knights were able to record the match-clinching break at 7-6.
The freshman duo of Eli Simonson and Cole Gillespie made their doubles debut on Sunday and turned in a solid performance. They lost a close 8-5 decision to Christof Zweifel and Noah Mueller in the No.3 doubles spot.
On the singles court Jared Saue played a competitive match with Carleton's Xander Roti. Saue dropped the first set 6-1, but then played neck-and-neck with Roti in the second set. Saue was able to move the Carleton freshman all over the court but Roti came up with the one decisive break and was able to hold serve at 5-4, winning the set 6-4.
Senior Erik Porter says that playing quality teams like Carleton early on in the season helps the Cobbers set their eyes on competing with the top teams in the MIAC.
"It allows us to get a look at the level of tennis that we want to strive towards playing and competing at," Porter said.
UP NEXT: The Cobbers will get to partake in some more high-quality tennis on Saturday, Feb 8 when they take on UND and Augustana (S.D.) in the I-29 Battle at Choice Health and Fitness in Grand Forks. Concordia squares off against Augustana at 2:30pm and follows with UND at 6pm. The Vikings are 2-1 on the year and the Fighting Hawks are 3-2.
Carleton College 9, Concordia-Moorhead 0
02/02/20 at Lakeville, Minn. (Lifetime Fitness)
1. Xander Roti (CAR) def. Jared Saue (CC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Bence Kisgeczi (CAR) def. Erik Porter (CC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Lewis White (CAR) def. David Youngs (CC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Lucas Balon (CAR) def. Carter Steffes (CC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Will Stepanski (CAR) def. Cole Gillespie (CC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Noah Mueller (CAR) def. Eli Simonson (CC) 6-2, 6-0
1. Xander Roti/Bence Kisgeczi (CAR) def. Jared Saue/Erik Porter (CC) 8-3
2. Lewis White/Jonas Lindholm-Uzzi (CAR) def. David Youngs/Carter Steffes (CC) 8-6
3. Christof Zweifel/Noah Mueller (CAR) def. Eli Simonson/Cole Gillespie (CC) 8-5