FARGO, N.D. (3/21/21)---Concordia finished off its 4-match home stand to start the season by hosting St. Thomas and Bethel over the weekend. The Cobbers dropped a pair of 9-0 decisions on Saturday and Sunday.
Concordia started the 2-match weekend by squaring off against Division-I bound St. Thomas. The Cobbers started the day by getting multiple-game wins from the No.2 doubles team of Shota Oda and Sean Martin and the No.3 doubles squad of Eli Simonson and Jake Peters. Both CC tandems lost 8-2 in their matches.
Sophomore Cole Gillespie, Simonson and Peters were the only multiple-game winner in singles play. Gillespie lost by identical 6-2, 6-2 margins at No.2 singles. Simonson dropped a 6-2, 6-0 decision at No.5 singles and Peters fell 6-2, 6-1 at No.6 singles.
Concordia finished off the weekend by battling Bethel who had just returned from a 4-match spring break trip to Florida. Head coach Zach Zitur shuffled the doubles lineup on Sunday as he paired Gillespie with Simonson as the No.1 doubles spot. The two sophomores fought through several long rallies but dropped an 8-2 decision.
The singles play saw some heated matches with Peters losing in the super-set tie-breaker at No.6 spot. He dropped the first set 6-2 but then rallied in the second and won 7-6 in the tie-breaker. The super-set was close throughout but the Royal player was able to win successive points at the end and claim the 10-8 victory.
Simonson used his play at No.1 doubles and battled at No.5 singles. He had several solid points during the match but lost 6-3, 6-3.
UP NEXT: Concordia will hit the road for the first time next weekend when they play at Northwestern on Saturday, Mar. 27 at 4:30 p.m.
St. Thomas 9, Concordia-M'head 0
Mar 20, 2021 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Frank Stich (UST) def. Shota Oda (CC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Lennart Buhl (UST) def. Cole Gillespie (CC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Myles Krzewinski (UST) def. Kipton Jenson (CC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Tristan Fjelstad (UST) def. Sean Martin (CC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Aashish Bharath (UST) def. Eli Simonson (CC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Anshul Bharath (UST) def. Jake Peters (CC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Frank Stich/Tristan Fjelstad (UST) def. Cole Gillespie/Kipton Jenson (CC) 8-0
2. Aashish Bharath/Anshul Bharath (UST) def. Shota Oda/Sean Martin (CC) 8-2
3. Myles Krzewinski/Sterling Sibley (UST) def. Eli Simonson/Jake Peters (CC) 8-2