WHITE BEAR LAKE, Minn. (3/27/21)---Concordia stepped outside the MIAC for the first time in 2021 and came away with their first win of the year. Brianna Bell's super-set tiebreaker win at No.4 singles secured a 5-4 win over Northwestern.
The Cobbers led 2-1 after doubles play against the Eagles. The Cobber No.1 doubles team of Raquel Egge and Jenna Forknell made quick of their opponents with an 8-1 win. Greta Reichmann and Anna Hacker came away with their first win of the year when they scored an 8-3 victory at No.3 doubles.
Egge and Forknell matched their doubles success in singles play with straight set wins. Egge won 6-1, 6-1 at No.1 singles and Forknell followed with a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No.2 singles. The two wins gave the Cobbers four team wins which set the stage for Bell.
It looked like there would be no dramatics needed for Bell as she sprinted to a 6-3 win in the opening set at No.4 singles. The momentum shifted in the second set and her opponent matched the opening set score with a 6-3 win. Bell then fought back in the super-set tiebreaker. She got out to a lead and then held on for a 10-8 win to clinch the victory for the Cobbers.
Bell's win was her first in singles play in 2021. It was also the 12th or her career in maroon and gold.
Hacker had her singles match go into the super-set tiebreaker as well. She won the first set 7-6 but then lost 6-3 in the second and dropped a 10-6 decision in the super-set.
UP NEXT: Concordia will have a break for the Easter holiday and then return to action when they host St. Scholastica on Sunday, Apr. 11 at 3:30 p.m.
Concordia-M'head 5, Northwestern 4
Mar 27, 2021 at White Bear Lake (Lifetime Fitness)
1. Raquel Egge (CC) def. Mafee Rinta (UN) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Belinda Weddle (UN) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jessica Gross (UN) def. Carolyn Voss (CC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Brianna Bell (CC) def. Ellie Dodge (UN) 6-3, 3-6, 10-8
5. Sabrina Bush (UN) def. Emily Savageau (CC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Taylar Smith (UN) def. Anna Hacker (CC) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 10-6
1. Raquel Egge/Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Mafee Rinta/Belinda Weddle (UN) 8-1
2. Ellie Dodge/Taylar Smith (UN) def. Carolyn Voss/Emily Savageau (CC) 8-3
3. Greta Reichmann/Anna Hacker (CC) def. Jessica Gross/Sabrina Bush (UN) 8-3
RECAP SPONSOR: Today's recap sponsor is Microtel Inn and Suites by Wyndham. Thanks to Microtel for their support of Cobber athletics.